July 21, 2011

Shopping - Finland Edition

When going abroad or on vacation, I often can't stop myself and go shopping extensively. Normally, I check online prior to my trip for nice vintage stores, flea markets and other good places to buy nice clothes. During my trip to Helsinki, I once again tried to find new interesting places that I could add to my shopping routine.

This little place is in Fredrikinkatu, close to Kaivopuisto. It's filled with super pretty Rockabilly clothing, girly dresses like the ones from Stop Staring! (Tiffany recently posted about them and I have  been in love ever since!) and a lot of pretty things from the 50s era. The selection is huge for men and women alike. I would have bought at least one of those super cute dresses, but my budget was finished already, what a bummer! :(

IMG_9352

IMG_9349

IMG_9351

IMG_9350

Close by also, on Fredrikinkatu, are several other small stores and boutiques, a very pretty vintage store for high-end fashion (sadly closed on Mondays, or maybe it was my Kredit Card's luck) and also this little shoe place (forgot the name though).

IMG_9343

The city centre is still the best place for shopping sprees. I always start around Aleksanterinkatu and work my way towards Mannerheimintie and the two big shopping centres Forum and Kamppi. Most stores are quite standard retailers like H&M, Monki, Weekday and Vero Moda. Those I try to frequent less, but stick with the more unique stores that can be found mainly in Scandinavian areas, such as Lindex, Sepällä, Gina Tricot, Vila, etc.

IMG_9364

H&M Home store is the exception though, I love their decorations!

DSC04136

The beauty department in Stockmanns (Aleksanterinkatu), Finland's biggest high-end Department Store, is always worth a visit. They got a nicely filled MAC counter!!

IMG_9362

The coolest fabrics come from Marimekko (big store at Kamppi shopping centre). I love their designs, they are so fresh, but super unique! They even had a table cloth featured on an episode of SATC once!!

IMG_8510

DSC04105

The more touristy shopping area - the old Markethall (Eteläranta) at the harbor - great food, vintage looks and some nice souvenirs!!

IMG_9377

I am always exhausted and hungry after a day of shopping and nothing is better than finishing a day of bargain hunting with a coffee and a Korvapuusti at Café Esplanad (Pohjoisesplanadi).

DSC04187

IMG_8514

Have you ever been to Finland? What was your favorite place to shop?

3 comments:

Leslie Heimer said...

wow! that is what I call shopping!!  Love your photos and your collection!

pearlslaceandruffles said...

That first store...love it! I need to make a trip to Finland hehe xo

http://www.pearlslaceandruffles.com

pearlslaceandruffles said...

That first store...love it! I need to make a trip to Finland hehe xo

http://www.pearlslaceandruffles.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...