March 31, 2012

Can women recycle their clothes?

Since I started reading blogs on a regular basis about two years ago, a very bad habbit has been omnipresent to me that I have only known from hollywood superstars before: wearing your clothes only once and then never again. Katy of ModlyChic seems to have recognized this same situation happening on several "A-List Blogs" now as well and made this the topic of this weeks' Fashion Beauty Friend Friday theme. I find it a very interesting and important topic and really wanted to contribute to the discussion.


remixing


1. Do you feel the need to purchase something new for an evening out or a special event?
I am no one-time wearer, even though some of the things in my closet have only gotten one wear so far. I am planning on giving them another spin soon though! I guess with clothes for special occasions it is tricky sometimes as they might be suitable for that special day, but then you never get another chance to wear it. I would never buy something simply for a friday night out, but for certain, very important events I have bought clothes specifically for that one day.
Let's take graduation gowns, wedding dresses or vintage finds from past decades. Either you live a life where a ball gown is never needed or you buy that vintage dress, wear it to a costume party and after that never again. And what about a wedding dress - should you actually recycle that? As long as you can afford it and it's an extra special day for you, feel special and buy that pretty dress!


2. Re-mixing is something a lot of bloggers are proud of being able to accomplish - are you a re-mixing pro or do you shy away from posting items frequently? Why?
I wouldn't call myself a pro, but with a limited student budget and my intention to build a working closet with a lot of staples, I have no other option but to remix. I think the queen of remixing bloggers is Kendi of KendiEveryday and I can only recommend her working closet series posts! I also participated right at the beginning of my "blogging career" in the 30 for 30 remixing challenge helt by her and loved the remixing ideas that I got by looking at my more limited closet and reading the experiences of others. 
I do try not to post the exact same outfit again, even though I have probably worn them several times, even in a row. See below how I remixed my favorite denim skirt in the last 5 months.

3. Do you find yourself bored when reading a blog in which clothing items are often remixed and appear frequently? 
Never!! I think it helps me connect to the blogger a bit better. When the person remixes something, it shows me that this special piece is one of the favorite parts from their closet, otherwise it wouldn't be worn that much. also I really like it when I spot a  piece again that I love as well.
The best example is the yellow skirt owned by Emily over at The other Emily. It is so pretty and I have probably saved a picture of each post when she wore it. She even wore it the day we met in Berlin last summer and it looked even better in person!

The other Emily remix
[photo source 1; 2; 3; 4]

Apart from that, who can relate to a person that wears their clothes only once? It's neither economic nor does it show how life really is. No normal person that could live next door does that. I for one read blogs because the people are more relatable that Hollywood superstars and I will keep it that way.

Happy Weekend to all you remixers out there!

6 comments:

Enlacabinadelamoda said...

a very useful post, love it!

Kimberlee VDW said...

I don't get who would only wear something once either but glad to see it hasn't plagued the FBFF community :)

SatinAndSalt said...

Im a HUGE fan of remixing. Like most women, I dont have an unlimited budget for clothing but I want a closet that is filled with great pieces. I used to buy throw away clothes at cheap retailers constantly. Now i am much more interested in high quality versatile piece that can live for years in my closet. I recently did a post on how to wear one dress three way! Check it out:
http://satinandsalt.blogspot.com/2012/03/skirt-set.html

-Nico

www.SatinAndSalt.com

Anja_AHeartandSoulStory said...

glad that you liked it!!

Anja_AHeartandSoulStory said...

so true. It definitely is an odd practice - who would want that. I buy things because I like them and want to wear them as often as possible, right!? No way I wanted those things to stay in my closet!

Nicolene Richards said...

Just found your blog, and perhaps a little late on the subject! Unless I can wear something with a multitude of other items in my wardrobe, I will not consider buying it. Re-mixing is an art, a challenge, and what defines and creates style. Dressing off the peg and matchy matchy is not always original. To wear clothes once and discard it, is a fool parting with his money soon. Being stylish does not mean you have to abandon common sense or wasting money. Being stylish also requires some responsibility. A little grown up approach perhaps?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...